Target 155 is the maximum amount of water each of us should try to use each day – 155 litres.
Now that Melbourne is Australia's fastest growing city, there is more and more pressure on our water supplies. To keep our city green and vibrant but also save precious water, we're asking everyone to limit their water usage to 155 litres per person, per day.
Melburnians already have a great culture of using water efficiently – research shows that in 2018, the average person was using 161 litres per day. To meet Target 155, we need everyone to use just six litres less each day – that's about two thirds of a bucket of water.
To reach Target 155 today, you can:
- take shorter showers (one minute less can save up to 20 litres, depending on the type of showerhead
- turn off the tap while brushing your teeth
- don't rinse your dishes before putting them in the dishwasher
- only put the dishwasher or washing machine on if you have a full load and use eco settings
- check the weather forecast for rain before watering your garden
- mulch your garden to reduce evaporation by up to 70%.