Collins Street Water Main Renewal Project
To ensure reliability of your water supply, City West Water is upgrading a section of water main.
To ensure reliability of your water supply, City West Water is upgrading a section of water main on Collins Street between Elizabeth Street and Swanston Street. The water main was first installed in 1915 and is reaching the end of its operational life.
The new water main will be located in the road on the south side of Collins Street approximately one metre from the gutter. Works will include saw cutting and excavating the road, laying the new pipe and backfilling the hole.
When will the works take place?
Works are scheduled to start on Monday 2 July 2018 and will take approximately 10 weeks to complete. Works will take place Monday to Friday 7.00am to 6.00pm with some night works and weekend works scheduled.
Project update – 10 July 2018
When will night works take place?
Night works are scheduled to take place over two periods.
The first set of night works will take place on Sunday 22 July and Monday 23 July 2018 between 7:00pm to 5:00am. We aim to cease noisy works at 10pm. These night works will be located outside 271 Collins Street and 287 Collins Street. Please note these dates are subject to change – we will be in further contact should these dates change.
The second set of night works will take place from Sunday 5 August to Tuesday 11 September 2018, Sunday to Thursday between 7:00pm to 5:00am. We aim to cease noisy works at 10pm. These night works will commence close to 259 Collins Street (TAFTS) and finish on the corner of Collins Street and Swanston Street. Please note these dates are subject to change – we will be in further contact should these dates change.
Will there be lane closures?
A section of Collins Street, located on the south side of Collins Street between Swanston Street and Ganache café (249 Collins Street) will be closed from 7.00pm to 5.00am from Sunday 26 August to Tuesday 11 September 2018 (Sunday to Thursday). Vehicles and cyclists will be detoured from Russell Street down Flinders Lane to avoid this section of Collins Street. Traffic management will be in place to support road users with this detour.
What do these works mean for you?
- There will be no interruption to sewer or water services during the works.
- There will be no interruptions to tram services on Collins Street.
- Access to Manchester Lane from Collins Street will be maintained during the works apart from 7:00pm to 5:00am on Sunday 26 August and Monday 27 August.
- Traffic management will be in place to ensure pedestrians, cyclists and vehicles are able to use Collins Street during these works.
- There will be some construction noise during the times noted above – every effort will be made to keep noise to a minimum.
- Street car parking may be impacted as the works move along Collins Street.
- We may need to temporarily disrupt access to your building – we will contact you prior to any impacts.
- Your business/residence may be connected to a temporary above ground water supply.
Why do some works need to happen at night?
Where possible, construction works on Collins Street will be undertaken during the day. However, in order to minimise congestion, we are required by VicRoads to undertake some works at night when traffic and cyclist movement through the area is at its lowest. Night works allow for more efficient construction, ensuring we complete the project quicker.
Thank you for your patience during these essential works. Every effort will be made to minimise any inconvenience to you during this time and we will keep you informed of our progress.
How to stay informed about the project
Stay up-to-date by following us on Twitter @citywestwater or our Facebook page. If you have any questions about the project, please contact our Project Team on:
Contact Person: Rachael Anthony, Senior Community Engagement Advisor
Phone Number: 03 9313 8884
24 hour Hotline on 132 642
Contact Person: Brendan McFarland, Downer EDI
Phone Number: 03 9359 4443